More families are now choosing to stick around town and enjoy local leisure activities. They are calling it a staycation. Staycations are great because they don’t have to be long, two days maybe three, and they are more affordable than a regular vacation. They open up the opportunity for new discoveries, much needed R&R time, and don’t break the bank.
Here are 10 helpful tips for planning your staycation in Baytown.
1. Take a Friday or a Monday off so that you can enjoy the long weekend staycation. Locations and restaurants are less crowded on weekdays also.
2. Visit your local tourism website: www.visitbaytown.com. If there is something fun going on in Baytown, you’ll find it there or on our Facebook page at Baytown Tourism.
3. Enjoy the many beautiful green spaces Baytown has to offer including the Baytown Nature Center and Eddie V. Gray Wetlands Center.
4. Visit the locally owned Yepez Vineyard. Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons include free live music, wine tastings, and the perfect adobe style atmosphere.
5. Two Words: Pirates Bay. If you have kiddos, it’s one of the must do’s here in Baytown. If you want to be thrifty but still splash into some fun, try going after 4 pm or on a Monday-Thursday. Tickets are discounted during these times.
6. Want a little adrenaline pumping through your veins? Legal Street Racing happens every Friday night out at Houston Raceway Park along with other awesome events year around.
7. Have you been to the Downtown Arts District lately located down on Texas Avenue? If you haven't seen it in the last year then you need to! Public Art is popping up everywhere, and the Tourism Office launched a fun scavenger hunt on the app, Adventure Lab, called Baytown's Art-Venture. Wazabi Sushi Bar and Sabor of Mexico make for the perfect date night combination.
8. Try something new like Geocaching! Baytown's family friendly Official Baytown Tourism GeoTour is a great way to get outside and explore. If you want to learn more about geocaching click here.
9. Be sure to check out the Baytown Little Theater’s production schedule. They have shows year around at the Baytown Little Theater and Lee College Performing Arts Center. Beautiful sets, talented casts, and skilled directors make these shows one for the books!
10. Possibly one of the most helpful tips…take lots of pictures, because when it’s all said and done, you’re going to want to brag about how great your staycation was on Facebook and Instagram with our #IHeartBaytown and #VisitBaytown hashtags.